If you are looking to be hired as a Christmas Casual, now is the time to apply!
Disclaimer: The following post relates to the Australian job market. The information and advice is general in nature and should not be relied upon to make any employment decisions. You should always seek advice/assistance from a qualified and registered employment lawyer (which I am not).
What/who are Christmas Casuals? career counselling, career coach, career coach brisbane, career counselling brisbane,
Many retail and hospitality businesses employ extra staff over the Christmas/holiday period to help with the increase in demand for services and customers, and to cover permanent employees who may take leave at this time of year. Employment in these roles is usually for a short time, typically between 1 November to 31 January and on a casual basis.
How are Christmas Casual staff different from regular casual staff? career counselling, career coach, career coach brisbane,
They aren’t really all that different. Christmas Casual staff and employers have the same obligations under employment law as any other casual employee. career counselling, career coach, career coach brisbane,
It’s important to keep in mind that the employer will have an expectation that Christmas Casuals will have full availability to work over the holiday period, including public holidays. However, as a casual employee (generally speaking) you can terminate your employment at any time without notice. career coaching, career advisor, career advice, career aspirations, career advice brisbane, job search, career decision making, interview skills,
Benefits of a Christmas Casual job career counselling, career coach, career coach brisbane, career counselling brisbane,
- If you perform well, the employer may ask you to stay on past the usual Christmas Casual timeframe as either a casual employee or a permanent, ongoing one.
- It’s a great way to earn extra cash over the holiday period to help with the additional expenses.
- If you are studying, you can work between the end of the academic calendar and the start of a new one. Perfect balance!
- It’s a great way of boosting your skills, learning new ones and building networks.
- If you are having difficulties getting into the job market, Christmas Casual work can prevent gaps in employment and help with gaining all-important work experience.
The recruitment period for Christmas Casual staff usually runs from 1 August to 30 September. These are general guidelines and may differ from each organisation.
Tips for applying career counselling, career coach, career coach brisbane, career counselling brisbane, brisbane career counselling
The recruitment process for Christmas Casual staff will be much the same as a normal casual recruitment process. career guidance, career advancement, career advice australia, study, what to study.
- Prepare your résumé as you would normally, ensuring it is tailored to each job application. If you are applying for positions with medium to large organisations, make sure your résumé is Applicant Tracking System friendly. This is very important otherwise your application will be screened out in the very first instance.
- There will be many businesses hiring Christmas Casuals, so it’s best to take a targeted approach at your job search. Choose the organisations which you would prefer to work with and apply directly to them (usually via their website).
- Consider your long term career goals. As mentioned, quite often well-performing Christmas Casual staff are offered ongoing work so there is potential to use your Christmas Casual role as a stepping-stone. Carefully consider which organisations may have positions which align with your ideal job and target your applications accordingly.
- Interview preparation will be the same as other casual roles. Large organisations may use assessment centres due to the bulk applications, however most retail and hospitality organisations will be looking for similar skills in all candidates. You will need to demonstrate why you want to work for the organisation, your customer service skills, your communications skills, your conflict resolution skills, your reliability etc.
- Availability to work will be a big factor for Christmas Casual work. Your employer will have an expectation that you will be available and flexible throughout the Christmas/holiday period. Consider whether this suits your commitments and if you are willing and able to work many of the public holidays and weekends.
Working in retail and hospitality over the Christmas/holiday period can be very demanding but also a lot of fun. I know, I was there 14 years ago! Ensure that you understand your rights as a worker (the Fair Work Act is a good place to start), particularly rearding rest periods, minimum/maximum hours per shift and working public holidays. Be prepared for hard work and enjoy the learning experience.
career counselling, career coach, career coach brisbane, career counselling brisbane, brisbane career counselling, brisbane career coach, career coaching, career advisor, career advice, career aspirations, career advice brisbane, job search, career decision making, interview skills, skype online, career guidance, career advancement, career advice australia, study, what to study.